Sunday, 31 July 2016

31.08 Week Three / Session One

Researching More Artist Models


I have found another brilliant illustrator who comments on social issues through his work. His name is John Holcroft and he is similar to Sebastian Thaibault in many ways. He uses irony and humour, plays on common phrases, and combines images together ironically. However, I don't think his style is as effective as Sebastians, as the illustrations are overcomplicated sometimes and also the use of colour and FADPs is lacking. However, I do really like his concepts and the way he has shown them through illustration.




Here are some other clever design examples I have found.


I like how this poster has combined simple images to get a message across. With the lips and 'teeth' it is immediately obvious that the poster is about Dracula. By turning the teeth into ballet shoes, and having them dripping with blood also, it is obviously suggesting the female, ballerina victim of the Dracula. There is an obvious relationship between two characters shown with only very simple symbols combined into one. This is confirmed by the text and the violent mood is enhanced by the black background, which bring the image forward. 


This poster I found clever because they are using the idea that rising temperature kills animals, and are showing it literally as the thermometer temperate rising literally erases the images of the animals on the thermometer. A lot of thought has gone into this and it is very sophisticated, I would like to explore ideas like this more.



In this poster, I like the way the text has been incorporated into the image with the letters falling, and I also love the use of negative space below the words. The pull of gravity and space are very clear. I would like to explore more creative ways that my text could be included to and add to my imagery and communication more effectively. 



This poster stood out to me because I love the way the designer had combined two simple images together to state a really clear point. It is not over complicated. The upsidedown microphone and bird trapped in a cage work together to show the idea of freedom of speech, which is reinforced by the tagline. 



This poster shares a similar idea to the last one, with two simple images combined to show a fight for global warming awareness. I also like the impact that the red text creates.



Again, this example shows how the combination of two simple shapes/textures/symbols can work to communicate an idea that is a whole lot bigger. It is disturbing and wrong that the dove, which should be free, is made of barbed wire. The grey colour adds to this, as it is depressing, gloomy and prison-like. The text is tied into the image and helps to explain the issue.


This one to me is very clever, maybe my favourite out of this selection. I love how the combination of 'CO2' and the dead fish communicate the idea clearly even without the text underneath. Clearly the CO2 is the cause for the fishes death, even before you realise that the fish is swimming through the word and a skeleton after it passes through. The text underneath says 'one-third of all animal species are at risk of extinction by 2050 unless greenhouse gas emissions are reduced by 30%'. I really love how the fact is small but adds a lot of impact and information. This has given me inspiration for how I can have a small fact included in my poster, but still have the image speak for itself. I also need to find more facts about my topic. 


The reason I love this image so much is because of the pathos used. I think the way that the giraffe is looking up gives a strong sense of desperation. It really gives the illusion that the level is rising and that it is toxic. It creates a sense of sympathy for the giraffe and sadness. I could add more of this effect into my drowning poster. 


No comments:

Post a Comment