Sunday, 14 August 2016

15.08 Week Five / Session One

Interim Two

My main feedback from my peers was that the central issue was more easily identifiable in the drowning poster. They thought the idea could be made more obvious. Someone pointed out that the anchor would be difficult to identify from a distance. I also realised that 'DEBT' would be difficult to read from a distance, and the student in the other poster would be difficult to identify. I need to work more on this by using scale, placement and by playing with opacity.

My peer feedback also revealed that people found the posters visually engaging. This was because of the contrast against the dark backgrounds and the use of pathos. Reasons why people thought they were not so visually engaging were because the figures need to be bigger to be more easily identified and someone said that they weren't sure about the light in the '$' poster, which they thought was a halo. Someone also thought that the dollar sign was awkward, so maybe I need to change that. Someone also suggested that the 'DEBT' could be tilted to show sinking.

 I also found out that the association that I am using the logo of actually needs to be fictional, so I need to design my own logo.

The feedback from my tutor gave me more specific ideas of things I could alter to make my posters more effective. My body text is too small, and also needs to have one clear message, maybe one punchy line with one message/idea. Also, in the '$' poster, the black vector style student is too cliche and contrasts with the style of the rest of the poster. I need to try making it grainy/painted or somehow link it into the gritty and loose style that I am using. With this poster I also need to try with different colours to make it more punchy and make it asymmetric.

With the drowning poster, the clean vector style waves are too contrasted with the rest of the style I am using, I should try loose brush strokes and choppy waves to be less cliche and more effective. The ocean also needs to be brighter as my colours are very dull and gloomy. I should make the drowning figure not centred, if it was moved to the right and the anchor was maybe pulling them to the centre, there would be more visual flow and show pulling/weight. I would then also bring the logo to the left. The red from the 'Student Debt' should be linked in somewhere else, probably a red anchor would be effective in visually connecting the poster as well as making the anchor more obvious. Also perhaps if I moved 'Student Debt' down, the poster would be less top heavy and convey the idea of sinking more. Someone also suggested to me that maybe it would look interesting if 'Debt' was tilted. 




It was very interesting seeing everyone else's posters. I think the ones that worked the best were the ones that were clear and simple, but made visually engaging by using relevant colour, style and shock factor, as long as these were secondary and complementary to the issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment